Monday, October 31, 2011

Writers Block....A Million Thoughts To Decipher

Blank.  I'm just drawing a blank.  That's frustrating to me because I am a writer before I am a manager, marketing professional or sales person.  My writing has been inspired by events at my current workplace and the wonderful clients we serve. I have been a writer since prior to my college years and am typically never at a loss for words (just ask anyone who knows me). This has been a whirlwind week, one that has left my mind going in a thousand directions.  Sales are high, collections are going well, I'm having fun learning more about the latest in social networking, I was able to hire a part-time employee and, as always, I have some amazing new customers.  Yet, I cannot come up with anything to blog about, in general.  How can this be?

I think it has to do with the whirlwind week I have had.  I seriously have not had time to reflect on the wonderful things that have transpired.  How often do we do this as business people?  We have a business to run, we take time to deliver the best customer service, work on finances, sales, collections, marketing, etc.  And when that proverbial five seconds of quiet hit, a barrage of thoughts enter our minds leaving us with little time to sort out what to do with that five seconds.  And this was the case for me this week.  I hit the ground running.  It's been a great week and month regarding sales and collections.  And now that proverbial five seconds is here and as I open that door I face an empty room with white walls and a bare floor.

"This is counterproductive", I think as I stare into space contemplating the first word to record.  Somehow, I should be able to make something out of this five seconds.  Surely there is a painting to hang and a throw rug somewhere.  Anything would be better than this empty room.  It's so hollow and even a whisper echoes and bounces off of every corner.  Maybe I should just back out of this room for a while and look around the rest of the house.  I haven't been in the collections room lately.  When I walk in, I see a lot of familiar faces talking about their current situations.  It's kind of an oppressed room with negativity bouncing off the walls.  I walk in and turn the light on to be faced with a lot of unhappy stares.  I decide I will take a few moments to share some of my life with them.  I think maybe if they knew the trials and tribulations I have faced that maybe the atmosphere will shift as they gain some hope and encouragement.  As we talk, I see many of their faces soften and even have some pull out their checkbooks and credit cards to pay.  I make arrangements with a few others.  Still a few are determined to stay hardened but the mood is much lighter than it was before.  Now that everyone is much calmer than before, I decide it is safe to leave now.

The room across the hall is decked out in posters, screens with commercials playing, computers scattered about and every social networking site known to man on each one.  At first, I think I have entered the Twilight Zone and then a closer look tells me it's the marketing room.  It's overwhelming at best.  I walk through it and try to decide what is applicable to our business at this point and time and what isn't.  As I go through the room, I begin turning off the commercials and take a few posters down.  I then look at the social networking sites and log off of those I want to try later and focus on a few that are serving us well now.  The room takes a calmer ambiance and I pull up a chair and begin to work on a few items at a time until I have them complete.  As I finish up, I look around and satisfied, I shut the light off and walk out.

The room down the hall is full of commotion.  I walk in and about a hundred people all shout, "Surprise!!" As I stand there startled with a deer in the headlight stare I think, "It's not my birthday so what can this be?"  All at once they come at me telling me about great deals, bargains, discounts, buy one get one free, first month half off and more, I can barely make out what each is saying.  This is a room that needs taming.  Without using a stun gun on each of these sales people, I calmly, with a smile and a slightly raised voice say, "One at a time, please!".  As I sit and carefully listen to each one, I suddenly focus and realize that each person looks like me. I'm taken aback and realize that maybe I should take more time to process each sale as it happens (or have a drink).  I often ask myself what could I have done better?  But in the midst of a huge month of sales, I've not focused on this question as often as I would have liked.   And although my sales seem to be doing well this month am I missing something?  Because this room certainly was a bit overwhelming.  I realize this room will take a while and while the party seems to be a little less overwhelming, I still need to practice on listening more and talking a little less.

No comments:

Post a Comment