Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Which Hat Are You Wearing And Do They All Look Good On You?

This month, albeit a very productive one, has been a very challenging month for me.  I have worn every possible hat that could fit me on this job.  However, I will be the first to admit that some do not look quite as good on me as others.  My sales and marketing hat has been particularly appealing.  It goes fabulously with everything I wear. My IT hat has been so-so (meaning, I had to call the IT guy in over a few things).  My collections hat was, "meh" but it still has time to look good.  My operations hat, well, it depends on which "outfit" I am wearing that day.

"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once" ~ Jennifer Yane.  There are days when I feel so stretched I wait to break in half like an old rubber band.  It never happens but it's come pretty close. I worked in the non-profit sector for several years and started as an assistant and by the time my tenure in that sector ended, I held a director's position.  What was so fascinating is the fact that due to lack of funds more often than not, you learn to wear every hat possible.  I am pretty certain if I wanted to start a non-profit business, I could run the whole show for a while.  Nevertheless, as with the rubber band adage, you start to wear down quickly if you cannot learn to wear only one at a time.

So, what happens when you have no choice but to be all to All?  Well, you keep a steady supply of hats available and grab the one that fits accordingly to the outfit you are wearing.  How do you do this without your heart racing and letting your customers see the little beads of sweat on your brow?  You stay joyful and keep the atmosphere light.  It's not something I learned overnight.  And it isn't something I have perfected, either.  Take today, for instance (please), there were 6 people in here all at once and none of them were together.  It was a juggling act.  Some were late pays and I really needed their money.  However, I had two people ahead of them who were renting storage units.  What did I do?  I took their payments and promised to mail them a receipt.  Only one had a credit card and he was more than happy to wait.  I joked with them, asked questions and focused on prioritizing by moving in one customer, then another, then taking a payment.

I have learned to keep a smile on my face and live by the old adage, "never let them see you sweat".  Yesterday I had a claustrophobic moment (and I am not claustrophobic) when our IT guy showed up with friend in tow, my son was here helping with over-locks and cutting locks, our bookkeeper was here and the owner was here as well.  And on top of it, I had customers coming in and out. Our bookkeeper was unable to work in her office due to our IT guy working on her printer. I remember at one point my eyes were beginning to glaze over so I looked to my right and saw that our bookkeeper was hugging the wall, her back was pressed against it and she was holding a book tight.  Her eyes were already glazed over and she had painted a smile on her face. Yes, I knew that feeling all too well.

Most of the time, I am able to wear a hat for a few hours but we have had a wonderfully successful month and that means my marketing hat is on right now but more than likely will be removed in a few moments so I can put on my operations hat and close for the day.  I haven't lost my mind nor has the rubber brand broke.  I consider this a good day.  Now it is time to put on my own personal hat and find some relaxation.  Because one should always remember that "A life spent in constant labor is a life wasted, save a man be such a fool as to regard a fulsome obituary notice as ample reward". ~ George Jean Nathan


Michelle Armstrong
Manager
Star Storage
816-765-7300

No comments:

Post a Comment