Thursday, October 20, 2011

"Even Smile In Your Liver": A Good Customer Service Plan

Not long ago my son and I went through a fast food restaurant drive-thru and while there the voice came over the intercom and totally knocked me for a loop.  I was so taken back when the voice said with a very "put-off" tone, "Whaddya want?" I looked at my son and we almost burst out laughing.  Obviously someone had not been trained in customer service etiquette.   I was a little floored and was very tempted to just leave.  I ordered our food and my son said, "Mom, don't say anything, you don't know what kind of day they are having".  More than likely if I would have said anything it would definitely not have been a Madea moment such as this one (oh if only I had her courage): 




Another incident not long ago was an experience in a coffee shop with a girl who looked to be about 17 chomping on her gum and slowly strolling up to the counter.  As she chomped her gum she looked up at me and said, "Yeah?"  I leaned over the counter a little and responded with, "Excuse me?" and she quickly backed up and said, "Um, hi, like, what do you need?"  It doesn't take long to notice that we are living in a day and age where customer service is not what it used to be.  But, we can change that. I truly believe that smiles are contagious and encouraging words are worth a million dollars.  Politeness will retain my business and cheerfulness will make me a repeat customer.  

If you have ever gone to a Chick Fil A restaurant, you will quickly notice their customer service is exemplary. Why is that?  Well, Chick Fil A has taken a "second mile service" approach to their customer service.  Meaning that, bottom line, if you are going to go the first mile, why not go the second as well?  This is why when you are greeted with a smile and very fast service, you say thank you and they respond with, "My pleasure".  I once visited a Chick Fil A on a rainy day and was greeted at my car door with an employee holding an umbrella.  Can you imagine the look on my face seeing a teenager with a huge smile helping me out of my car and to the front door so I would not get one drop of rain on me? While inside dining, I always receive refills and they throw my trash away for me.  When I leave you will hear several say, "Bye! Thanks! Come back again!".  And why wouldn't I want to?  Their prices are a bit higher than most fast food but I am more than willing to pay for the customer service experience.  And did I mention there is no tension in their restaurants? Ever? 

Stepping back to look the Chick Fil A scenario, wouldn't one think that many of these cheerful people are also going through a lot in their lives?  Yet somehow, they still place customer service as first and foremost.  Let me go back to my point that smiles are contagious.  Have you ever tried to be unhappy or upset while smiling?  It is hardly possible.  When my customers walk through the door, in all actuality, the last thought on my mind is making a sale.  I love it when someone comes in and I can smile at them and get a smile back.  And when they don't, it becomes my challenge of the day to see them smile before they leave.  I have personal challenges I put into place and one of them is to gain feedback from people that "Michelle was one of the nicest people I've met" or "What a great place and the staff is so friendly!".  I think I have mentioned in the past that I have customers who routinely drop in just to say hi, show me pictures of their children or grandchildren, grab some candy and leave.  That is more rewarding than a sale.  

One of my favorite books is Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat, Pray, Love ".  In the book she meets with her guru and he gives her some very practical but entirely necessary advice: "Smile with face, smile with mind, and good energy will come to you and clear away dirty energy. Even smile in your liver".  I love practicing this.  When you really smile, there should be no way of knowing there is any pain in your life.  It is healing for the soul.  Smiles like this are also contagious.  People know when you aren't being sincere.  This is something you can practice away from work.  Go to the grocery store and pick out the people who look the most unhappy.  Smile at them with a relaxed face.  Don't worry if they don't return the smile, not everyone will.  However, they may think about it later and when they do, that smile will catch up to them.  As my son said, you don't know what kind of day they are having".  You will also find that when you begin smiling like this, you will also draw that smile inward and eventually it will become a part of you.  It will also make way for smoother roads over the rough patches in your own day.

Oh, and did I mention that it truly does impact your business' bottom dollar?  It's all icing on the cake.  

By the way, have a fantastic day. 


Michelle Armstrong
Manager
Star Storage
816-765-7300




No comments:

Post a Comment