Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Are You Prepared For The Move?

I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed lately.  I'm not going to lie (not a good practice for anyone to fall into) however, moving isn't easy.  So, I thought I would write about it since moving and self storage often go hand in hand.  Many years ago, my Mother taught me this wonderful trick, pack what you own in plastic totes.  They don't fall apart, don't collect mildew, don't have to be taped and re-taped each time you want to search for something and they are easy to carry.  You can normally use a dry/erase marker on them and if not, write with permanent marker on masking tape because the masking tape removes easy.  So, totes have been my friends for a long time.  I would highly recommend stocking up when you see them go on sale.

Once you have those in place, you can begin to sort through items to keep and items to toss/sell/give away.  Because I had already packed our items in totes during the last move, I took two empty totes and we brought out one tote at a time and went through each item, three totes: keep, toss, throw.  Doing it that way made it go so much more quickly.  Once we were finished, we took clothes we no longer needed to the donation center, thew away what we couldn't give away and then gave away the items we didn't need.  This drastically reduced the amount of items we knew we would ship later.

Once you have "purged" your household, the easiest thing to do is rent a storage unit.  Yep, that's the business we are in but let me tell you, it truly is the best way to prepare for a move.  You can then begin to pack the items you are keeping in the totes and place them in a storage unit so you can focus on staging your home or pre-cleaning your apartment prior to move-out.  Prior to moving there is often much cleaning involved.  "What?!" You may exclaim, "I'm a very clean person!".  Well, you would be very amazed once you begin to move items around how much dust hides from your eyesight.  And, what about filling nail holes from the pictures which adorned your walls?  Then there is the touch up paint job that follows. Oh, and have you dusted your baseboards in a while? It all takes time.

Saving all of these items until moving weekend can be very exhausting.  Plus, if you are working and have little time during the week, you will suddenly feel panicked, overwhelmed and stressed while trying to juggle it all.  And this is where I have been finding myself as of late.  This is with everything you see above in place and with the exception of part of the pre-cleaning and touch-up painting.  I'm ahead of the game but still wanted the pre-cleaning and painting finished by now. I know, I know, I really should be patting myself and my son on the backs.  High fives are in order.  But, as the old adage says, "It's not over til the fat lady sings".  So, in my eyes, I still have a lot to accomplish in a short amount of time.

If you find yourself preparing for a move, I would highly suggest making a priority list.  Here are the most important things to list:

1)  Purchase several totes
2)  Place totes in each room
3) Start with the front room and make your way to the back, there is a method to this madness.  People have a tendency to pack more junk in the back of the house out of a person's sight. You put the things that mean a lot to you out for everyone to see. So, once you have packed the kitchen, living room and front bathroom, you are ready to get rid of everything.  This will make packing and purging things in the back part of the house much easier.
4)Rent a storage unit and start taking your totes to the unit
5) Assess what cleaning needs to take place in your home
6) Assess the painting that also needs to take place
7) Make your shopping list
8) Go through one room at a time until finished
9) At this point, you may even decide to go through items again, if so, the great news is that you can open your storage unit, go to the tote you want to go through and take care of it at the storage facility.  Most have dumpsters you can use.  Take a few extra totes with you when you go in the event you purge more items.
10) Relax, you have accomplished a lot.  Take yourself out for a nice meal, gourmet cup of coffee or a movie.

All in all, moving is stressful and no matter how much planning you do, it will be impossible to knock out that feeling of being a little overwhelmed.  However, if you put a list in place and have the materials handy that you need to get the job accomplished, you will have a feeling of structure and order and will be able to accomplish this huge endeavor and you will succeed and be able to enjoy the move a lot more than you would have had you not planned at all.

Have a great week!

Michelle Armstrong
Manager
Star Storage
816-765-7300







7 comments:

  1. Shifting from one place to other is a hectic job so when someone think of shifting from one place to other he or she may consider the packers and movers firms present in the market. These firms make relocation look easy. These firms also provide the services regarding consultation regarding shifting. Always goes for the firm which are providing good services in a low charging cost for this purpose one should have to consult or compare several firms present in the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very wise advise! I totally agree with you this can be a very good decision to make to save your backs and precious time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a business owner you understand the need for cost-effective, accessible storage for your business items. Business storage services are often used for the storage of documents, furniture, vehicles, stock and exhibition equipment, and they are commonly used by businesses which are relocating, expanding or simply have less storage space than they require.
    spruce grove storage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this great post! It has been so nice having self storage while doing our move and it has been very convenient and made our move so much less stressful!
    Holly James | http://tamaracministorage.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this. I am going to be moving next month. I want to make sure all the preparations are made. I think I will want to get a storage unit for a little bit so that I can have a place to store my things while I am making the move. I think it would help a lot.
    Gary Puntman | http://www.allamericanself-storage.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Storage units can be very useful for moving. I had to rent a storage unit when I had to move across town. It was nice to put a few of my things away while I was busy worrying about my stuff that's more necessary to move into my house right away.
    http://www.storageworldpoquoson.com/poquoson-va-residential-storage.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. My wife and I are in the process of moving and we need a place to put some of our junk. We want to rent a self storage unit so that we can keep things out of the the way while we move into our new home. Most of that junk is stuff that we would like to get rid of, so I doubt that it will ever see the new house. I really like being able to dump some of our stuff in the storage unit and not having to worry about it for the move, it has made things so much easier.

    http://www.northgatemini.com/services

    ReplyDelete