Friday, December 9, 2011

Are You Prepared For The Worst? When Technology Fails

When I walked into work on November 28, I had a little skip in my step and a little whistle on my lips.  It had been a great November and we had three days to close out the month with a higher net than we had closed in our history. About midway through the morning I noticed the computer was acting strange and then I got the blue screen of death. Ok, so that's happened before.  Probably a simple driver issue.  So, I rebooted the system.  Upon rebooting, I could not get to the manage portion of my computer.  Using all of my computer nerd knowledge, I could not find the issue.  And then I noticed our security gate software wasn't working, our management software went next and then the Internet crashed.  It was like watching a technology apocalypse happen in front of my face. No virus, no funky little worm, nothing to be found whatsoever.  Our computer guy wasn't able to get here until later that afternoon.  There were beads of sweat forming on my upper lip, my heart was racing and my stomach felt like it did when I saw my best friend with my ex.    

So, what happens when technology fails?  I was totally prepared to lock the doors and hide under the desk when someone knocked.  Yes, I admit I was being a coward.  As much as I love my customers, there are a few I wouldn't like to see angry.  However, I knew this wasn't the right decision to make.  I took a swig of my iced chai and slamming it down on the desk said, "Let's do it!"  I called the owner and we agreed to do everything the old fashioned way.  With a deep breath, I decided to face this like a real woman and take something to calm my nerves: I reached into my lunch bag and pulled out the chocolate.  Chai in one hand and chocolate in the other, it was time to make this work.  

As the day went on, it was business as usual.  I took payments and used paper receipts (always good to have carbon copy receipts on hand).  I rented units and no one really seemed to mind that our system was down.  For those paying their late fees, I gave them a temporary code to get in and out of the gate until I could update their payments in the system.  The computer issues actually took close to three days to resolve (we have a great computer guy, he actually saved us from buying a new system).  I was still getting caught up over the weekend because the 1st of the month fell on the first full day of having a totally restored computer.  The biggest saving grace was the ability to close out the day on the last day of the month with only a few nets short of a goal we have long been anticipating (I am happy to report that goal was reached yesterday).  

Because we are a locally owned facility with two locations and one office to run them both, it is imperative to make certain we are backed up in the event of a technology breakdown.  We pay for a monthly service called Carbonite (http://www.carbonite.com/en) and it is more than worth the cost. There is a 30-day trial available. We also keep carbon receipt books as well.  Make certain you have a paper shredder in the event someone gives you their credit card information. You can shred it upon computer recovery.  Have a smile on your face and a good attitude whenever a customer walks in.  They will know it if you are nervous.  Be honest and say "I apologize but our system is down and we are working on getting it back up, would you mind if I write you a receipt and I will let you know as soon as the system is up and it is posted?"  Or laugh it off (my way of doing things) and say, "Ahhh, technology, don't you just love it?  Our system is down but we are working on getting it back up again.  In the meantime, we have everything we need to take care of your needs and as soon as the system is back up, we will update everything for you".  

I honestly thought I would have some irate customers last week but everything went so smoothly that I know we could operate for a few days the old-fashioned way again if it were necessary.  Now, you will have some customers who are frantic that their payment won't be posted on time and they will get a late fee.  If our system is down and they have paid, we are responsible for noting the date and removing that late fee if it goes that far.  It will take some legwork and you will have to make some follow-up calls.  I made it through the techopalypse, so can you.  I have a quote by Chris Prentiss posted on my desk that says, "Everything that happens to me is the best possible thing that can happen to me".  It is right in front of me so I have a constant reminder (even when I don't want to be reminded) that there is a purpose and learning experience from all things that happen to us in life.  

So, now I can say that my experience last week turned out to be very positive and my confidence was boosted to a much higher level.  I believe that if this happens to you, and it very well could if it hasn't already, you will be able to handle it well and make it a very profitable experience.  You will learn that in turn for the compassion you have had for your customers in the past, they will now return that compassion to you.  And if they don't just remember this: "How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." ~ Wayne Dyer.  One more last thought before we part ways today is this:  Just when you think the worst possible thing is happening to you, there is always something worse that can trump that.  So put on a smile and think happy thoughts, technology woes are never here to stay.  

Michelle Armstrong
Manager
Star Storage
816-765-7300


1 comment:

  1. Yes nicely said. I would also like to add something related to theme here. First of all try to prepare reliable software, otherwise be ready for the software crisis at your best. That may encounter also a crucial kind of situation for the Self storage software companies.

    Sitelink self storage software

    ReplyDelete