Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Is It Always About The Money? Let's Talk About Customer Retention

One of my favorite customers came into the store today.  I'm not going to lie, last month was an incredible month but our numbers are down somewhat this month. We've had a number of people moving into new homes and business projects ending.  I'm the marketing "fiend" right now trying to figure out new and creative ways to let people know we are here without dipping into the budget too much.  So, when this elderly man, a long time customer, came in today and asked about renting a second space I could have easily signed him up.  However, I not only want to make more sales, I want to retain my good customers.  And, he is a good and consistent customer.  


So today, as I listened to his needs (listening is the magic word) I realized that he had outgrown his space somewhat, but not enough to constitute a much larger second unit.  I looked at his records and saw he was in his current unit at the old rate, which was more expensive.  "Omer" (not his real name) isn't the wealthiest man in town but he always pays on time.  He will be a long term customer if I do what it takes to retain him.  And just like all of our customers, as I mentioned in my previous blog, he has a story.  He's not a huge talker but I love hearing about his life when he drops into the office to pay his monthly rent.  


So, I decided to move him into a larger unit at the new price (which was the same price as his old unit-no money lost there).  I gave him a senior citizen discount (10%), as well.  I located an available unit only 6 spaces from the old unit.  I wanted to put him close to his old unit since I knew he would be doing the hauling himself.  I gave him until next Monday to have his items transferred and marked the unit he just "vacated" as unrentable until then.  I probably wouldn't do this for every customer, you have to be a little discerning in this industry and know your customers.  But, I knew that "Omer" would live by his word.  He is a very good, long-term customer and I want to retain customers like "Omer".  


Although I could have raised our net a little today, that could have caused it to go lower in the near future if "Omer" decided to leave and go elsewhere.  Management Writer, Peter Drucker said, "The purpose of business is to create and keep a customer." That may be a little difficult in the self-storage business but what have we lost when we lost a good customer? "....dissatisfied customers would tell between 7-10 people while a satisfied customer would recommend a company to 3-4 of their friends". PIMS 


When I went back to check on "Omer", he seemed so very content.  He was filling his van with items from his old unit and putting them into his new unit. I probably won't even have to wait until Monday before his old unit is vacated. We chatted for a moment and he thanked me again for working out a better deal for him.  I didn't even think twice about what I did.  I walked away feeling just as satisfied, if not more.  




Michelle Armstrong
Manager
Star Storage
816-765-7300

No comments:

Post a Comment